Cast your minds back to 1996 – Wikipedia lists some of the events around planet that included the following:
· Alanis Morissette won Album of the Year at 38th Grammy Awards with Jagged Little Pill.
· Braveheart won Best Picture at the 68th Academy Awards.
· Suspected "Unabomber" Theodore Kaczynski was arrested at his Montana cabin.
· Germany defeated the Czech Republic 2-1 after extra time in the final of the European Championships.
· Michael Johnson won gold in both the 200 m and 400 m, setting a new world record of 19.32 seconds in the 200 m.
· Major League Soccer kicked off in front of an overflow crowd of 31,683 packed in Spartan Stadium, to witness the historic first game. San Jose Clash forward Eric Wynalda scored the league's first goal in a 1‑0 victory over D.C. United.
On the afternoon of Saturday, October 26th the San Jose Earthquakes take on FC Dallas at Buck Shaw Stadium, and Ramiro Corrales bids farewell to the Quakes fans as he becomes the last player that first suited up for MLS in 1996 to retire. "I am one of the originals," Corrales stated almost disbelievingly as he reflected on his time in MLS. "I’m the only one still playing after 18 seasons, and after so many years, I am proud of that. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I was going to be playing this long."